Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Sergeant Arthur Albert Walter: Malaysian emergency era cop buried

KUANTAN: FORMER police Sergeant Arthur Albert Walter, who died of a heart attack last Wednesday, was laid to rest at the Jalan Bukit Ubi Muslim cemetery here yesterday.

Originally from London, the 92-year-old Englishman, whose Muslim name is Anuar Walter Abdullah, died at Tengku Ampuan Afzan Hospital here about 6.30pm.

About 70 family members and friends, as well as Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Adnan Yaakob, state police chief Datuk Sharifuddin Ab Ghani and former Special Branch deputy director and intelligence unit head Tan Sri Yuen Yuet Leng were among those who paid their last respects yesterday,

Walter, who served the country at the height of the communist insurgency, had changed his name to Anuar after he converted to Islam in 1975.

Sharifuddin said although he only got to know Walter in 2011, he was surprised to find the former policeman always energetic and had a sharp memory.

"He used to share stories about his experience during the communist insurgency. He remembered every moment and incident."

Yuen, a close friend of Walter's, described him as a great friend who had been always encouraging and prepared to help others.

His foster son, Ahmad Khalil Mohd Yusoff, 56, said he was relieved that Walter had been given a proper funeral and his wish to be buried as a Muslim had been fulfilled.

Khalil, whose parents were Walter's good friends, said Walter had left a lot of memories.

"Walter took care of me and my six siblings after my stepfather, who was also a policeman in Sungai Siput, was killed by the communists."

Walter, who never married, had served at the Sungai Siput police station in Perak between 1948 and 1958 before making Malaya his home, and became a rubber planter in October 1958.

During his time in the force, Walter killed 16 communist insurgents in several clashes after Emergency was declared on June 16, 1948.

*Taken from NST Online

Related posts you may want to read

No comments: